Thursday, July 28, 2011

Best Playdough Recipe

As I start to think about setting up my classroom in a few weeks, I think about what jobs can be done ahead of time. One is making Playdough for the classroom. While I know there are hundreds of ways to make it and no one person can claim ownership to the recipe,  this one I credit to my dear friend Lee.
Lee was one of the best Early Childhood teachers I ever had the pleasure to work with. In 1998, Lee suffered a massive heart attack and collapsed in front of her Kindergarten class. I still shake my head at the thought of that morning and how this wonderful teacher died doing the work she loved. It's been well over 10 years since her passing, but I think of her every time I reach for the recipe!
I am sharing Lee's recipe and hope that you'll try it. I think you'll really like it. I know it would bring Lee great joy to know that children all over the country were playing with Playdough shared in her memory!

Lee
1946-1998

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I use this recipe, except that I dissolve a package of Kool-aid in the water instead of just the food coloring and it make is smell wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing! :)

Amber
http://thirdgradeshenanigans.blogspot.com/

Sumayyah's Mommy said...

If you don't have cream of tarter, is that ok?

Cindy said...

I honestly don't know. I follow this recipe. I have tried others in the past (long, long ago) and didn't like anything as much as I do this one. It lasts forever in a sealed container, so make a double batch and save half of it for later. ;-) Let me know if you try it without the cream of tatar and how it works.